“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Friday, June 4, 2010

Education World® : School Issues and Education News: Wire Side Chat: Making Inclusion the Norm

Zane starts preschool in the fall. Though he will attend a private preschool, the staff there has been open and welcoming to have him attend as the first student with significant disabilities. I love their open-mindedness. However, we anticipate a struggle when he moves into the public school system two years down the line.

See, our small town ships kids like Zane twenty miles away (a forty-five-minute, one-way drive on our winding and often snow-coated and iced-up roads) to the next neighboring town to attend a center-based program. Once you get into the math, Zane would spend the equivalent of 6 ½ full work weeks riding mindlessly on a bus. In a nutshell, the district struggles with inclusion. Even worse, it expects parents and students to be happy about being excluded from our own community. I have one word for this: unacceptable.

Knowing how quickly two years can dissolve away, I am beginning my research to build a case for Zane and for other differently-abled children in our town. I found this wonderful article while searching for research-based evidence of success to center-based programs.

I welcome any comments or suggestions…and thanks for checking on Zane.


Education World® : School Issues and Education News: Wire Side Chat: Making Inclusion the Norm

2 comments:

  1. Susan, It's so good to get an update! I so agree with you and this article's author. Inclusion should be the norm in schools so everyone can learn from each other. It's so great that you are starting now to research and fight for change since as you said 2 yrs goes by very quickly. I still want so much to meet Zane and see the rest of you. Someday :-)
    Take care! Love, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think my first comment went through this morning...thus 2 posts! jean

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.