“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Birthday, Zane!

It’s hard to believe it had been four years since you were born; four years from the time we heard the words: “He will die.” The stats were laid out for us like tarot cards: at least 90 % die in utero or shortly after birth; less than 10% survive to celebrate their first birthdays. Yet here you are today—December 22nd—at four years old. You have shown so much strength, demonstrated tremendous resiliency in that time—surgery, a second brush with death in the PICU, unending therapies, countless doctors’ appointments, specialists galore, trips to children’s hospitals, discrimination, and a death sentence based solely on your Trisomy 18 diagnosis. And yet you smile everyday with that amazing smile. A grin that calls forth a light in everyone you offer it to. You touch so many people with your will to progress and your will to live.

Your life has been (and continues to be) a gift to me. Sure, it is not always easy. Care is extensive and involved. But it is so worth it. It pales against the effort you put into life. You are required to try harder than anyone else I know to do the simplest things: to sit independently, to walk, to eat by mouth, to communicate your needs. You have taught me more than anyone else—without ever speaking a word. Compassion, living in the moment, appreciation, gratitude—all of these words have taken on greater meaning since you were born. You inspire me to be a better person and have helped me to glimpse spiritual purity: What life must be like without judgment, preconceived notions, and discrimination. I love you for all of this. But most of all, I love you for you.

Happy 4th Birthday, Zane! I am so proud to call you my son.

10 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ZANE!!!
    Yes, I am shouting it out to you. You are a wonderful little boy with such a dedicated and loving family. I pray that you will have a healthy new year, too, and many more birthdays to come.

    Big birthday hugs and kisses from Morgan and me!
    Holly McCormick

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute and summary to Zane's special life. Thank you for sharing. Happy Birthday special little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Birthday Zane!! We are so Proud of you defying all the odds. My Son Lane(Full T-18) sends BIG HUGS to you. Lane is 2 Years old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Zane! I wish I could meet you in person and see that beautiful smile and feel your wonderful spirit for life!! But, I'll have to be content with knowing what a wonderful boy you are through your mom's writing about you! For one small boy you sure bring joy to so many!! Love to you on your birthday! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY ZANE!!! Susan, you inspire me and help me in ways that only you can. Special hugs and kisses to the birthday boy and all of you:)

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Zane, the small but MIGHTY little dynamo that you are. In your smile, I imagine I see the smile of my Isaac. You could have been twins at birth. My heart swells to think of the joy you're life has been able to bring to the life of your parents and brother and all the lives you continue to touch. You are a blessing to the world. Keep on Keepin' on, little buddy!
    Miss Victoria, Isaac's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Zane! Happy Birthday to the strongest boy I know. Thank you for sharing your lives with us through your mom's updates. I love and care for you and your family, more than you know. Zane, I hope to meet you in person some day. Big Hugs and Kisses!
    Love,
    Vicky Lail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 4th birthday Zane and congratulations to you wonderful family. Susan, your post about Zane is beautiful and expresses my feelings about my life with my beautiful girl, Tessie (almost 14yrs T18). I pray you and your family are gifted with many more years with your beautiful, miraculous Zane. Love and prayers from Australia. Julie and Tessie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to check in on Zane and to offer and express your sentiments for our little guy. Not only am I blessed to have Zane in my life, through him I have been able to meet many of you. For that I am grateful. And for those of you who I've known before his birth, thank you for staying by my side through it all.
    Love and blessings to each of you.
    Susan and Zane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you all!
    I hope you have a very happy and healthy holiday.
    Please know that I will continue to pray for you in the upcoming new year.

    God bless,
    Holly McCormick

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.