Our Trisomy 18 journey appears today in Newsweek's online publication, The Daily Beast.
Our son was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 five days after birth. We were told he probably would live for two months--no more. He has managed to defy the odds placed against him. Zane is now ten.
Hi Susan. I just read your article in the Daily Beast and was so touched by it. My 15-year-old son was born extremely prematurely at 24 weeks and stayed in the NICU for 117 days, through many ups and downs. I could relate to your thoughts about the medical establishment. I had my third child at 41, and they thought he might have Trisomy 18. So I was very touched to read about Zane. He is adorable, and clearly he was lucky to be born to you!
ReplyDeleteHere's the blog post I wrote linking to the article:
http://marie-everydaymiracle.blogspot.com/2012/02/dodging-bullet-others-are-bearing-with.html
Regards, Marie
Susan, thanks for your comment on my blog! You'll never believe this, but I went home and was telling my husband about your article, and it turns out he knows you (via the internet). He writes the Middle Grade Mafioso blog. He knew most of your story. Isn't it a small world?
ReplyDeleteSusan, I am so glad to have found this other blog of yours. While my daughter is in a completely different situation (she is autistic) I am always deeply moved to read the stories of other mothers who are living with the wonderful burdens of their lovely children. This was a beautiful article and I wish you and Zane nothing but good karma.
ReplyDelete