“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Friday, August 9, 2013

Anticipatory Grief

This year has been filled with grief. Another child we know who has special needs died this week. He and his family live in our area.

Whenever a kiddo with medical needs (like Zane) dies, it moves those thoughts of death from the back of my mind (where they’re conveniently stored) to the very front. My brain races:

  • How much time does Zane have left?
  • Is something wrong with him that I can’t see?
  • Does the seizure activity speak to a bigger, underlying medical condition that will ultimately take him?
  • How will I handle it when I have to say goodbye?
  • Will I handle it?
  • And if I do, how can I possibly go on without him?


Or, I think, maybe I’ll die first and won’t have to deal with the pain of losing him. This prompts other thoughts:

  • He can’t die without me. He needs me. What would he do without me?
  • And what about Justin? I can’t leave him motherless either.


So I work hard to stay healthy and fit…so I don’t leave my kids without a mother.

Zane had a seizure earlier today. He was crying and tired. As I sat with him, stroking his back, I realized how very lucky I am. He’s still here! Not only that, how absolutely fortunate am I to be living on this planet at the same time he is? And to be his mother nonetheless. So no matter how short his time is here on Earth (or mine), I at least felt somewhat better knowing that I get to share a chunk of my life with him. It doesn’t ever take away those other thoughts. Ever. But it helps. A little.

So hug someone today: Your kids, a friend, a spouse or significant other. Do it! And be grateful you’re sharing time on this planet with them—even if it’s only for a little while.



6 comments:

  1. Susan, mothers worry anyway. When you have a child with a disability like Zane's, I'm sure it's just compounded. All you can do is love your kids and take care of yourself the best you can. You've shown how strong you are. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan, I hear you loud and clear. I've been to 2 funerals in less 2 months for little ones, both medically fragile and one very much like Aaron. Both moms are dear friends of mine. That combined with Aaron's own troubles lately have left me with those thoughts very much in the forefront of my mind, too. Sending you hugs from a mama who knows. Hang in there. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the additional fears you have. Your advice in your last paragraph is a good message for us all! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the good reminder to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Susan, how I remember those days and those thoughts. It's nearing four years since Brianna passed...where did the time go? As you know I went back to school for a nursing degree and just this past Monday began working for Caring Hearts, taking care of medically fragile children...my heart is so happy for this opportunity. Bless you Susan for being so courageous and strong. Big hugs! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. my heart is right there with you---i have plenty of experience but no answers---just faith that one day everything will be okay---<3

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.