To say that the weeks leading up to Zane’s surgery are
challenging would be an understatement. I am definitely feeling the stress of
it all. And I have promised myself that when the surgery is over and Zane is on
the road to recovery, I am going to start running. I need a healthy way to cope
with everything. I even downloaded a running app to my phone in preparation for
it all.
As of this morning, we still do not have approval for the
MAGEC rods. This is a problem. If the rods are denied, we have to embark on the
journey of appeals, which will most definitely delay surgery. This, in turn,
affects not only Zane and his well-being, but my job. The school I work for is
in the process of finding a substitute to cover me during my requested leave
time. So I kind of need to know now whether the rods are approved or denied.
The surgery scheduler is looking into it.
Over the past couple of weeks, I have contacted nursing
agencies in order to find post-op help with Zane. After researching and finding
the ones with the best reviews, I contacted three different agencies. Not a
single one has gotten back to me regarding my request. So it looks like I’ll be
taking care of Zane on my own during the day, which is a little nerve-wracking.
Bathing him and transitioning him without help will be interesting, to say the
least.
Then—as if all that’s not enough—over the last couple of weeks,
Zane has been removing his right hearing aid and poking at his ear. I took him
to Urgent Care where they told me that it’s likely allergy-related. I increased
his allergy meds. But the poking hasn’t gone away. So last week, Jeff took him
to the pediatrician. Apparently, Zane has a retracted ear drum (which can
happen with allergies). But if it doesn’t clear up in the next week or so, then
Zane has to see an ENT for possible ETD (Eustachian Tube Disorder). My thought is that it has to be related to
allergies since he’s never had ear problems before. I left a message for Zane’s
allergist this morning to find out if we’re overlooking something or if we need
to change Zane’s meds. (Zane’s allergist is awesome, by the way). Unfortunately
at the pediatric appointment, Zane was also tested for a UTI. The initial test
was suspicious, so he is now being treated with antibiotics.
So that’s where we are right now: dwelling in the Realm of Uncertainty.
If anyone tries to sell you a time share to this place, opt for the beach
vacation instead J
No comments:
Post a Comment