We are now three days post-op, and quite a lot has happened.
The main thing coming out of surgery for Zane has been
finding a balance between pain management and maintaining the integrity of his
respiratory system. It’s one of those Catch 22 things with him. Zane
has a sensitivity to narcotics. Meaning, when he takes them, they tend to
suppress his respiration. Yet he really needs them because he’s been through a
serious surgery and is experiencing a whole lotta pain.
Yesterday, during the day, he was on a combination of
supplemental oxygen (between 2 and 4L) and the Bipap. At night, after the
respiratory therapist deep suctioned him (didn’t like that one), gave him his
inhaler treatments, and administered easy pap, he went back
on the Bipap throughout the night. Through yesterday and last night, Zane
received a staggered variety of medications: a PCA (patient-controlled
analgesia—the narcotic with the clicky button you can hit to self-administer
narcotics every eight minutes), Valium, and Lortab. Last night was a
comfortable one for him. No alarms—that I heard.
When the critical care team rounded today, I listened in.
They decided that, based on his morning x-ray and his oxygen saturation levels,
he would be moved to the floor. So today, he was taken off the catheter, had
the central line removed, and stopped receiving the PCA. He’s now in the
airways wing since he continues to require Bipap at night.
The plan going forward is to continue to create a balanced
approach to pain management while weaning him off both the Bipap and the
oxygen. Once Zane is off Bipap, they will conduct a capnography—or carbon
dioxide study—of his lungs to find out whether or not he needs to go home with
Bipap equipment for nighttime.
Today also marked the first time I removed Zane from bed and
positioned him in a chair. We need to retrain ourselves as to how we
transition, position, and handle Zane from now on. It’s no longer okay to allow
his back to twist. The PT coached me in moving him out of bed. Somehow I
managed to get him in his chair without incident. Zane sat up for one hour. But
when the time rolled around for him to return to bed, she was long gone. So the
nurse assisted me with Zane’s transition back to bed. She held the tubes and wires
while I lifted and positioned him. He wasn’t happy with me. I wound up having
to hold him at one of his incision points.
Though we’ve moved to the floor, we still have a nice view
of the city. Yesterday, the room looked out on Chase Stadium. Today, we have a
visual of the entire downtown area. I leave the shades open at night, so I can
see all the sparkle of the city along with some of the stars.
Still not sure when Zane will get discharged. We’re still
approaching his care one day at a time.
Thanks to those who have checked on Zane and to my family
and friends who have come by the hospital to visit. It means a whole lot!
No comments:
Post a Comment