When we are not with our kids, we moms (and dads, too) seem to miss all the good stuff.
I received a report from Zane’s Occupational Therapist on Tuesday. They have been practicing switch use. On Tuesday (so I heard since I wasn’t there—no resentment, mind you), the switch was hooked up to vibration. The note stated that Zane really seemed to make the connection between the switch and the vibrating. He would make it go on and off and laugh. The note continues: “He stopped for awhile, so I asked if he wanted more. He clearly shook his head no. I left the switch to see if he would push it and he didn’t.”
Okay, so I can’t be too resentful. For one, this is huge! He communicated his desire to stop. Also, I have seen him do this at home, but was never fully certain he was saying no or simply enjoying the vestibular motion.
Way to go, Zane!
To all the families out there with kids who have special needs: don’t ever let someone tell you your child does not understand what’s going on. As I learned at a PEAK Parent conference—always presume competence.
Thanks, Erin (OT) for presuming competence! We really appreciate Zane’s team of therapists.
Christmas 2025
8 months ago
Way to go Zane!! Susan, I am sorry you missed the confirmation but I KNOW it is your dedication to getting what Zane needs and all you go through to ensure that that made this possible. I love the phrase "presume competence." Wish school systems could live that (note to former post that made me laugh a little more than should have been funny!)
ReplyDeleteLove to you all!
What an important lesson. I work with troubled children full time, and this is one of the things that distinguishes parents who help and parents who harm, is who can see the potential in their child to he be the very best he or she can be.
ReplyDelete