“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bullying

My little Zane. There are so many wonderful things to say about him. Aside from being adorable and sweet, he is free of judgment and discrimination. In fact, if you know Zane, you would say he is accepting of everyone, a pure soul. He shares a smile with everyone regardless of age, ethnicity, abilities, or gender.

Fortunately, we live in a town where Zane is accepted for who he is. And, so far, he has not been mistreated or bullied because of his cognitive and physical differences. However, these things weigh heavily on my mind.

I will never forget an incident that occurred back in 2008 at the Denver Zoo. A group of adolescent boys passed Zane, pointed at him, and laughed. Now I had been bullied, picked on, teased when I was a kid, so I know first-hand how painful the experience can be. But the ridicule on that day at the zoo stung so much more because it was aimed at my son. My son who did not have the voice to defend himself. The son who would gladly offer those kids a smile if they took the time to receive it.

By the time I processed the string of events, the moment to react had already passed. The kids were gone. In retrospect, I realized their cruelty had everything to do with their own insecurities and nothing to do with Zane.

If you are a viewer of Glee—as I am—you will recognize Lauren Potter in this video. She plays Becky. Her message is a worthy one. Please share her message with others. Our world needs more kindness and less bullying.

2 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I had to stop by when you mentioned your son on my blog. I have been teaching special education for 30 years and I've had a couple students with Trisomy 18. Just sweet sweet children, but then again ALL my children are sweet and loving~ I love what I do and nothing gets my hackles up more than kids teasing my students. The mama bear comes out in me and I pounce...actually I just know it is an opportunity to educate about my students.
    I plan to come back and visit if you don't mind! thanks so much for stopping by my place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site, Zane is an amazing brave courageous fighter and hero. I have been bullied all my life so far, especially physically bullying, just because I am different. I was born with many disabilties and a rare life threatening bone disease. http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.