“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Health Issues and a Bureaucratic Mess

Normally, I do not post twice in one day. In fact, I am doing well if I post once a month.

However, the calm and uneventful stretch we’ve enjoyed has suddenly taken a turn. After speaking with the pediatrician today--being told she wanted to consult with a GI doctor--she called back. She decided it would be a good idea if Zane had another urine culture in the event his symptoms are caused by a UTI. So we dropped our plans (sorry, Justin) and headed into Durango. Zane’s urine was clear, so we are proceeding with an upper GI and blood work either tomorrow or early next week. I need to call the hospital tomorrow during business hours to see what they have available. We are also starting osteopathy again next week.

We arrived back in town around 6:00, picked up dinner, and stopped for the mail. I recognized the envelope: State of ColoradoDurango office. I opened it. Much to my surprise, the letter stated Zane’s Long Term Care and Medicaid benefits had been terminated as of July 31st because we failed to return the redetermination packet. Of course, this is not at all true. In fact, Jeff hand-delivered the packet I completed at the beginning of July—almost two weeks prior to the July 15th deadline on the paperwork. So, clearly they lost it.

Since it was after business hours, I left a message for the case manager who sent the letter. So did Jeff. Hopefully, she will sift through her piles of paperwork and find it. As Jeff said, “It is in that building somewhere.” I am hoping for a quick and easy resolution. If not, we are looking at scheduling a hearing. In which case, I will contact The Legal Center for a lawyer. We have never failed to complete anything surrounding Zane. Never. I don’t want to dust off those proverbial boxing gloves, but I will if I have to.  I've done it before when another agency spitefully tried to revoke Zane's Medicaid, and they lost.

Please think good thoughts. I’ll update when I find out more.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO sorry you are going through this! As if having a child with a disability wasn't difficult enough without endless paperwork and red tape! We switched from standard Medicaid to the Katie Beckett waiver this year, and had multiple denials due to some paperwork crossover snafu (the department, of course, denies this, but whatever). I have learned that when dealing with the government, especially H&W, you should never hand deliver or turn paperwork early. You should always mail it to whatever anonymous-sounding P.O. box they suggest, and make sure you are ALMOST late getting it in. It never seems to get lost that way! ;)

    Jennifer Vanderbeek
    Boise, Idaho
    Mom to Elanor, T18, 11 yrs

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.