“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Monday, September 5, 2011

Let the Countdown Begin


We’re in countdown mode to Zane’s surgery (September 12th). He and I will drive up to Denver on the 11th and hopefully have a room at the Ronald McDonald House. They do not take reservations, so I have to call the day we leave to see if there is availability. The last few times we’ve been to the hospitals in Denver, we’ve had no luck getting in at either the downtown of Aurora locations L

Needless to say, I am filled with anxiety about the trip. The last time Zane had surgery, things did not go well. He coded, was reintubated, and spent a great deal of time recovering in the PICU. While the surgery itself is enough to make me nervous, the pain management issue brings with it a whole other set of anxieties. From all appearances, Zane has either an allergic reaction to or—minimally—a sensitivity to narcotics. Jeff and I always carry fears with us when it comes to Zane and illness or Zane and surgery. Things that seem like no big deal to most are huge to us. While Zane has been healthy, his diagnosis automatically carries with it the label of medical fragility. We take nothing for granted.   

I plan to spend the entire time with Zane in the hospital. Word has it there is only a reclining chair in the room unlike the pull-out bed at Children’s.  *sigh* But I absolutely refuse to leave him this time. So I am packing my Kindle and my comfy pillow.

Zane has an appointment with his pediatrician on Thursday to make sure he is healthy enough to undergo surgery on Monday. If she gives us the all-clear, and if he remains fever and cold-free throughout the weekend, kidney surgery will be a go. I will do my best to update everyone from Denver. I am not sure about internet access. But if technology becomes an issue, I will have Jeff post updates for me.

Please keep Zane in your thoughts and prayers in the upcoming week or two.

9 comments:

  1. Be tough Zaner. Don't scare mom and dad this time, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be thinking of you both, Susan, and praying too. That Zane, he likes to keep us on our toes, doesn't he? I know what it is like being at the hospital alone. I wish there was something I could do to make your stay more comfortable. Maybe someday we will be able to get Zane and Morgan together for some guy time.

    Holly McCormick

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for Zane. You will be ok in the hospital recliner. When I had my MI, my BW stayed in the room with me, I can personally tell you that Zane will be stronger for your presence.
    Best of luck to Zane. You and your spouse, please stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Susan,
    My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Zane, Jeff, and Justin. You are an amazing mom and I am in awe of all you do and have done. Love you, Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been on my mind so much as I thought of this surgery approaching. I will continue to send tons of love, positive energy & prayers that all will go well. I know it is so worrisome. Love you guys lots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what to write; I'm freaking out right along with you. I wish I knew what to write. I wish I could comfort you.

    I pray everything goes well.

    I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes. They mean more than you ever realize. I will keep everyone posted as to the goings on with Zane and his surgery.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.