“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Retarded


Last week I had a discussion with Justin. He and I talked about the word "retarded", what it means, and how some people may use it as a way to demean Zane. Immediately, Justin told me he hated the word. He also told me--in a reprimanding voice--that Zane is not retarded. Of course, I fully agreed with him.

With that said, this video made me think of Justin and how he has been forced into the role of defending and being the voice for his younger brother due to the cruelty, insensitivity, and ignorance of other people.

Thank you to my friend, Sandy, for sharing this on Facebook.


2 comments:

  1. I saw it a few days ago. I believe it needs to go viral. A little education can go a long way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that is so true! Thanks for posting. Justin sounds like an awesome great brother. Praying all goes well with the surgery in October. Zane looks so good and I got the biggest smile when I read he was pulling himself up. Mary Hatfield

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.