Things were going so well. For five months, we had no
troubles at all. The gastroenterologist told us the ureter reimplanation
surgery could possibly correct the retching and gagging Zane experienced. The
urologist/surgeon said it wouldn’t. But from surgery until earlier this month,
Zane had none of those symptoms at all. Now the retching is back. In full
force. It happens at every feeding, and it is distressing to watch. There’s
little we can to do ease Zane’s discomfort.
Today I took the boys to the pediatrician. This time, the
appointment was not supposed to be about Zane; it was supposed to be for his
brother. But medically, Zane always seems to take center stage. Back in October,
the GI doctor said the next step for Zane is an endoscopy under sedation. But
the pediatrician is less eager to take drastic measures with Zane. Instead, she
wants to tweak things with him and see if we can get this retching under control.
It has been extremely hot here (including inside the house, as we have no air conditioning).
She wants to up Zane’s fluid intake by 12 ounces a day to see if dehydration is
causing his problems. So we’ll start there and keep our fingers crossed for the
best.
On a separate note, Zane is scheduled to have surgery for
his ptosis at the end of July. He and I will have to stay in Denver for a week because of his one-week
follow-up appointment. What fun!
Sending love to all of you!
ReplyDeletePoor Zane. I hope the extra fluid does it.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you try to balance between your two boys. Can't be easy.
Good luck at the end of July.
All the best to Zane and the rest of you! Hope the surgery goes well.
ReplyDeleteGood luck. I wish I were closer to Denver and could help you guys. We're in the Springs. If you think it might work, we have plenty of room. email me stacysjensen at gmail dot com. I'm totally serious.- Stacy
ReplyDeletei will be praying for you both<3
ReplyDeleteHi Susan, its gabby you posted on my blog about my lil Hannah, sorry it took me so long to write back its been busy as u can imagine, i would like to email you and kinda pick your brain a little bit about having a child with trisomy 18. when you have some time feel free to email me gmcgusty1072@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteOh poor Zane. Poor you. My fingers and toes are crossed for you all.
ReplyDeleteSusan, I'm behind in my blog reading. I hope that Zane's GI issues have since resolved. I remember when we brought Chris home from the NICU, and he had horrendous reflux. He would vomit all over us several times a day--it was awful! It's so horrible to see our little guys uncomfortable.
ReplyDelete