“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Friday, November 16, 2012

Just When You Think...


Just when you think things are finally calming down and finding equilibrium, something else happens. Zane is having seizures. We’d noticed strange behaviors with him over the past week or so—ones we hadn’t seen before—but we didn’t think too much of it. The other night, I even half-joked to Jeff that I thought Zane might be experiencing seizures. Because that’s just what we need: another issue to deal with, as if we don’t have enough of them already. Then, yesterday, I took Zane to his osteopath. I didn’t say a word about possible seizure activity. But one of the first things the doctor asked was…
 
"Is Zane having seizures?”

If I had been a cartoon character, I would have had to pick up my fallen jaw from the floor. “Why do you ask that?” I said.

“Because his eyes look different.”

Then I explained that it had occurred to me that he might be having them.
 
So last night, I took Zane’s big brother to basketball practice. When we arrived back at home, Jeff had observed and recorded what clearly appeared to be seizure activity in Zane.
 
When you have a child with significant medical involvement, you learn quickly to search for new things in his environment that may be the source of the problem. I went to the side effects list for his erythromycin. He started it nine days ago. That matches the time when the seizure activity seemed to begin. Sure enough, it is listed as a possible side effect. I called Zane’s GI doc this morning. Of course, he said to take him off the medication immediately (which we already had). If this is indeed a side effect of the medicine, Zane should be back to normal by Sunday. If not…well, it looks like we’ll be traveling to Denver again to see neurology. What fun!
 
Fingers and toes crossed, positive thoughts put out there, that it’s the medication and not something else.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Zane!! Glad you caught it soon and were able to find out the reason. Seizures are so scary. Christopher had a grand mal seizure at the age of 9, out of the blue, and I had complete PTSD (fainted!) because of NICU memories. After years of having epilepsy (treated with anti-seizure meds), he's grown out of it. But I know lots of people are not so lucky...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, Zane had seizures when he was an infant, so we kind of figured that's what they were. They used to be so much worse than these. He had grand mal seizures back then, too, and would take hours to recover.

      Delete
  2. Everything crossed that it's just the medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T18 kids are predisposed to seizures, so I was just waiting for it to happen in Vera. Yes, we all don't like it, but the important thing is to find out what type of seizure Zane has, so need emergency response, some don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is true. Zane used to have seizures many years ago, so we are all-too familiar with them. But in this case, we believe it is the medicine. It is a listed side effect. I certainly hope Vera never experiences them. They certainly are not pleasant.

      Delete
  4. oh those darn seizures---they were a big problem with my kids---and yes we once had a "seizure" med that increased one of our daughter's seizures---go figure--crazy stuff to deal with---my best wishes and prayers for you and zane<3

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.