“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

EEG Results...Kind Of


It’s been nearly a week since we’ve received the results of the EEG. I apologize for not posting sooner, but it’s been pretty hectic around here. I did not speak directly to the neurologist who read Zane’s test results, so the information I have comes via word of mouth from the nurse practitioner at the pediatric office.
 
Zane definitely has seizure activity. We already knew this because we can visually observe them as they’re occurring. They are concentrated in the bilateral temporal lobes of the brain. However, when I asked what type of seizures he’s having, the NP told me that the neurologist didn’t say. (This is why I want to speak directly to the man). The neurologist suggested putting Zane on Keppra, gradually increasing the dose over three weeks.
 
The lowest dosage is not working. In fact, Zane had a horrid series of seizures late yesterday afternoon, crying in between them and completely upset and miserable afterward. Jeff gave him acetaminophen, which helped Zane relax and fall asleep. We were hoping the lowest dose would stop the seizures due to the potential side effects associated with the drug: suicidal thoughts in many patients. I’m not sure how this translates to Zane. Perhaps moodiness or depression. But it appears we’ll have to step up the dosage again this week.
 
Thankfully, I have three friends who were able to help me with the decision to put Zane on Keppra. They, too, have experience with seizures (either their own or their children’s). Thank you so very much to the three of you for helping me. This is a brand new area to me—a very mysterious one, I must add. I need to educate myself on brain activity, neurology, and seizures. It’s how I feel in control in a situation where I have little to no control.   
 
On a separate note: I am getting tons of lewd spam on Zane's blog. That being said, I am considering turning his blog into "invite only".  But I'll give everyone a heads up if that happens and instructions on how to continue to be a part of his blog.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this Susan. I'm glad you have lots of wise friends around you who have been through this. When Christopher was having seizures, he was on Tegretol, and they controlled his form of epilepsy. But that's the only medication I know anything about.

    I hope that the medication kicks in and starts working, and you can have your happy, alert Zane back with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Keppra works for Zane. Vera is on Epilim.

    The spam has increased on Vera's blog as well. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes we dealt with seizures quite a lot--they are very mysterious---my prayers go out to you and zane<3

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.