Zane’s surgery is scheduled for the end of this month, and
to say I’m nervous would be an understatement. Already, there have been nights
where I’ve snapped awake by the thought of it—too anxious to go back to sleep.
Zane’s been through surgery three other times. But the
memory of the first surgery will be with me forever—the fact that he almost
died back in 2007. And maybe that’s where the fear comes from. Maybe it comes
from the fact that things seem slightly less predictable with Zane and his
medical history and involvement. Yes, he’s a trooper. But he’s also human.
What am I afraid of?
- He won’t make it through the surgery (something will go wrong).
- He’ll be in A LOT of pain after the surgery. No loving parent wants to see his or her child go through that. He’ll need narcotics, but they were (at one time) his evil nemesis, sending him to the PICU back in 2007.
- There will be complications after the surgery, such as infection, wound problems…who knows?
- The whole thing is out of my hands. I have absolutely no control over what happens with him when he’s with the surgical team. I’ll regain some control once he’s in recovery because I can be his voice and his advocate there.
Zane now has clearance for surgery from both his allergist
and his cardiologist. Zane’s allergist used to manage one of the floors of an area children’s hospital, and he highly recommends that I push to have Zane
immediately placed into ICU rather than on the floor. He said the level of
skill and care in the PICU is superior to that on the floor. And, in Zane’s
case (where he has extenuating medical needs), it is not unrealistic to ask for
this level of care.
The red tape surrounding the surgery is a whole other story.
I feel like a circus dog jumping through hoops to simply get a leave of absence
from my job. Plus, I am still waiting to hear whether Zane’s insurance company
has even approved the MAGEC rods his surgeon wants to use. The nursing staff at
the ortho office manages to dodge this question through every exchange of
voicemails we have. We never seem to connect on the phone.
Zane’s pre-op and lab appointments are both set for the week
prior to surgery. I am trying to get nursing care at home for post-op help. But
like so many other customer service slights of late, no one will return my
calls or messages.
But through it all, my main hope is that Zane’s surgery and
post-op situation will improve his life and make him even happier than he is
now.
I'm sorry you have to face surgery again. Your care to be such a strong advocate on his behalf never ceases to amaze me. Your stress level must be through the roof. I hope your job gives you the leave quickly.
ReplyDeleteYou and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDelete