“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Monday, February 23, 2015

Going for a Record


I’m trying to reach a record. It definitely won’t make the Guinness Book, but if I can achieve it, it will make me happy—which is even better. What, you ask, might this record be?

Sure, I’ve thought it would be nice to train for a 5K. But that’s not it. Yet. It might be writing over five thousand words in a day. Haven’t done that yet either. So what is it?

Going at least a month without a doctor’s appointment for Zane.

As it stands right now, we have at least one appointment every week. And let me tell you, it’s exhausting. Because there’s still that little thing called work and the other little thing called maintaining the house. Not to mention my other kiddo and therapies and writing and blah, blah, blah.

Since my last update, we’ve seen pulmonology, urology, the allergist, the ophthalmologist, and gone through Zane’s first lengthening after spinal surgery (something I may have to save for another post). And tomorrow, we’re back to the urologist for another test. After the first week of March, I have no more appointments set for Zane. Oh, don’t get me wrong; the doctors want to see him. Pulmonology (a 45 minute drive for a 5-minute appointment) said, “I’ll see Zane back in three months.” Uh…I don’t think so. We’re overdue in seeing neurology, but those seizures seem, for the most part, under control. And yeah, I know another lengthening is supposed to happen in May. But that’s May. I need to live it up while I can through most of March and hopefully all of April.

But I am a realistic woman. I know this can’t last. Zane is bound to get sick (hello, pediatrician), and that ophthalmology prescription is still sitting in my office (it will need to be filled). And what’s that? Speak up! Oh right, he’s due to have his hearing aids checked. But, you know, that can wait for a little while. I need some time to take care of me. I need to see my own doc, have some labs of my own redone, get my own new prescription for contact lenses and glasses. Not exactly a vacation or true reprieve from the medical world, but it’s a break nonetheless. And Zane needs a break, too. Honestly, the poor kid spends so much time in waiting rooms and in therapy that it’s surprising he smiles as much as he does.


I have been counting down the appointments starting this month. We have two left until we both get a break—a break we can rejoice in and put in our own record books.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for no appointments all of March for Zane! Crossing fingers for good measure too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your humor through all of it shines through. You have a realistic, yet optimistic outlook and you know about his health pretty clearly. I would love for you to be rewarded with a month off from doctors!

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.