“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Friday, April 3, 2015

Steady Stream of Appointments


Just as I suspected, it was next to impossible to go even a month without a Zaner appointment. A few things happened:

Zane saw his orthopedic surgeon at the beginning of March. The doctor wrote some scripts, made a referral for a hand specialist, and sent us down the hall for Zane to be casted for SMOs (Supra Malleolar Orthosis—better know as ankle supports). Because of those things, we wound up with a couple of appointments at the end of March: One to try on and pick up the SMOs, and another to be evaluated for new hand splints.

However, Zane got sick. He wound up with a pretty nasty upper respiratory infection, which required the full regimen of nebulizer treatments, Flo-vent and Flonase, saline solution, extra fluids, and suctioning. I cancelled his two appointments. They were pushed to this week.

In the meantime, I’ve been trying to get a new contact prescription for me. But I’ve run into more trouble than I’ve ever experienced since I started wearing glasses at age 5 and contacts at age 14. The doctor cannot get my contact prescription right. So personally, I am going into my third office visit just to be able to see without blurriness and without feeling sick to my stomach. My blood follow-up and my annual mammogram (necessary because of the breast cancer back in 2012) are on hold for now. There are only so many appointments a woman can do in the course of a week, especially without jeopardizing employment.

Though all of this, we’ve been working overtime to get him a stander for both school and home. What a challenge that has been on both fronts. Yikers!

Zane is finally feeling better, we picked up his SMOs today, and he should have hand splints in 4-6 weeks.


We may be able to go through the rest of April without seeing any specialists. But heading into May, he has an appointment with neuro and a tentative lengthening with ortho sometime that month. But at least he’s feeling better and getting back to his happy self!

3 comments:

  1. Steady stream of appointments is bang on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgoodness you and Zane are busy! Glad Zane is doing better-hope you too get your appointments in-take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart. I cannot imagine dealing with all that and a job, too. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.