“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Respite

It must be a dream. It can’t possibly be true. Yet, it is happening. I have called, badgered, researched, hoped, wished, kept my fingers crossed, and given up. Now, after all this time, we are finally getting respite services!

I am in the process of going through the required paperwork with a regional home health agency (not the nasty one who provided “services” through Zane’s Pediatric Hospice waiver, but a nicer and kinder one) to start in-home care for him. I have meetings tomorrow with two more people, then respite care should be official by week’s end.

I am easing myself into the process. It is hard relinquish control of Zane’s care after being in charge of it for over two and half years. While I could have someone come out the house every day of the week, I have chosen a more conservative approach: two days a week for three hours each time. That is as much control as I am willing to give up right now. I am sure, with time, I will grow more comfortable with a stranger watching my precious son. But, for now, I am happy with six hours a week.

1 comment:

  1. Hallelujah for some respite assistance for you! I know recent changes have been challenging. Thinking of you and holding thoughts and prayers for the very best for you and your family!
    Big hugs!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.