This is not the first time it has happened. Actually, it has happened a number of times: in The Children’s Hospital cafeteria, at the pediatrician’s office, at home. It has become another one of those typical things with Zane, much like brushing his hair or clipping his nails. His gastrostomy tube button—the one that plugs in the hole in his stomach—came out. This time, however, he lay in a soaked mess of formula and water. I hadn’t noticed it’s disappearance from his stoma area until I went to remove the tubing. Instead of looking at the Nutriport button, there was the reddened hole. Thankfully, it was still open enough to reinsert a new button, fill the balloon with water, and move on with the rest of our day.
In the past, anything medically related would cause a feeling of queasiness to rise from within. I even have been known to pass out. Now, it is just another one of those things that I have to do. Many times—including today—I am the only one here to do it. And, if the button isn’t put into place, Zane doesn’t get fed. The longer it is out, the greater the chances of it closing up (like an ear piercing, I guess). So the reinsertion of gastrostomy tubes is now a part of our new normal.
Christmas 2025
8 months ago
susan, may I know why it comes out so easily? with the Bard, unless you yank it out, it doesn't happen.
ReplyDeleteYou just lived out a worry for me...for that Thanks! I have heard they can come out easily we are going on 4 months without a problem. Let's hope if or when it happens I'll be as prepared as you. NG replacement no problem/G-tube~uggh! Thanks Nurse Susan :-)Is it amazing the gifts you earn/learn from having kids!
ReplyDeleteHi May...the balloon inside the button usually bursts every three months or so. The gastric acids eat away at it, causing it to break down. Obviously when that happens, the tube pulls out easily. I just read Vera's blog. How weird that the dream corresponded with the reality!
ReplyDeleteHi Trish...It's really not too bad after you do it a few times. I was very uneasy at first. I made Jeff do it while I watched. I was forced to put one in when the tube came out at the ped's office. Jeff was at work, so I had to go home where the button was and put it in myself.
thanks for the explanation. i take my hat off to you...living out my nightmare!
ReplyDelete