“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I Am Going to Scream

Zane seriously needs to have his sedated DMSA scan for his kidneys. Yet unseen forces seem to be working against him (Darth Vader? Residual leprechauns from St. Patty’s Day? The dental scheduler?) to foil our plans for Children’s Hospital.

This time it is the Dental Clinic. Though they are the least important in the string of appointments Zane needs, they seem to be running the show. Apparently, they are the ones who set up anesthesia and coordinate all of the other appointments. But before the appointments can be scheduled, I need to fill out surgery paperwork and fax it back to the scheduler. I am more than happy to do this. But, I ask, how can I if she will not send the paperwork to me? We have been waiting for over a week for her to get her act together and send a simple fax to us. In the meantime, we are slipping further and further into June for our appointment time.

I called the dental scheduler again to ask where the paperwork was, and she spewed off a laundry list of excuses as to why we have not received it. Including, “It has only been a week.” If I waited 7-10 days to fax something for Destination ImagiNation, I would be considered lax in my job. I tried to impress upon her the importance of getting this to us, as Zane needs to see anesthesiology, have an ABR and DMSA scan, go for a surgery consultation, and have a follow-up appointment with the urologist. She doesn’t care. “The dentists are with patients. They are busy.”

At this point, I am ready to forget dental altogether. I know Zane needs a deep, sedated cleaning. But, frankly, this is far more stress than I care to handle. The other clinics are able to schedule things in a nice, streamlined fashion. If dental is such an aggravation, it may be time to find alternative procedures to give Zane clean and healthy teeth and gums.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, I am aggravated for you just reading this! Can you find another dental group that can meet Zane's needs? I hope the dental office experiences some instant Karma for their lack of basic and respectful diligence.

    *hugs you*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be insane already. I am impressed with your ability to handle this at all. I would switch dental offices, but before I did, I would demand to speak with her boss or send a letter of complaint. Do you have Comfort Dental there? They are really great to work with.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all you are going through, a teeth clean can wait. You are amazing, Susan. I agree with the above comment...there should be a complaint made. There must be a better office to visit??? Really wishing you luck adn some sanity,
    katy xxx

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.