Despite all the efforts of Zane’s pediatrician, she has not yet found a solution to his vomiting/coughing/gagging. We tried switching his prophylactic antibiotic—thinking he had a reaction to it. We changed his allergy medication and increased his Miralax dosage. Yet none of this has worked. After speaking with the doctor on the phone today, our next step appears to be testing. Poor kid. It’s really the last thing he needs. He has been through so much already. She is going to talk with a GI Specialist and see if he/she wants to proceed with upper and/or lower GIs. I had an upper in the past, which was not so bad. I had to swallow barium. Not sure how that will work with Zane since he does not consume quantities by mouth. IV perhaps?
Keep good thoughts for Zane. He has a lot coming up within the next month or so: GI testing, fitting for hearing aids, and his surgery on September 12th.
Oh how frustrating. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Zane. I hope they figure it out soon.
ReplyDeleteOh what you must be going through, you and Zane. Bless you and I hope you get relief swoon.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this will help, but Lily was vomiting, too. Gosh, we've tried so many different things, but what we're doing now seems to work. She's on Prevacid and Zantac for reflux. Miralax to keep her from being constipated, which apparently causes pressure on the stomach and vomiting. Nasonex, for allergies, but also I guess to keep her nasal passages open and to keep the nasal drip down because that, too, can aggravate reflux. She just had a stomach emptying scan done, which showed that her stomach empties more slowly than normal, so she just started to take a small dose of Erythromycin (spelling?) to help that. She's tube fed, so when I feed her, I make sure her body is sitting as straight up as it can. (She was in her stroller today, and I had to feed her, and she was a little slouched and vomited, but not as much as she did in the past.) I feed her most of the time in our breakfast room, which is away from the vent, just in case something in the vent is aggravating her. I make sure her formula temperature is between 94 - 98 degrees (don't know why, but it just seemed like a good idea when I started measuring it), and it usually takes about 20 minutes to feed her 5 ounces. Whew! Maybe you do all of this--I know you said he has a prophylactic antibiotic, allergy med, and miralax. When we saw the GI, she immediately said that it sounded like GERD to her and that Lily didn't need a scan, to try the medicine first and see how that did. It worked. . .until Lily got a UTI.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can find the answer to Zane's vomiting. I know it's so frustrating! And it can't be comfortable for him either. Just know you aren't alone. You both are definitely in my prayers.
Jill
Wow, Jill! I thought our regimen was intense. You do a whole lot more than I do. We are using Miralax, rhe highest dosage of Prevacid, Singulair and Flonase for the allergies and post-nasal drip, plus probiotics. But I don't always sit Zane up during feedings. He has trouble no matter what position he's in these days. He had a long run with no issues at all. I am not sure what triggers these things. He's scheduled for an upper GI next week.
ReplyDeleteThank you SO MUCH for your information and help! I really appreciate it.
Susan