“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Courage to Publish


Zane truly has given me the inspiration and courage to pursue my writing and my dream of publication.

My journey with writing has been a long and often laborious one. I began writing seriously in the early 1990s. I remember submitting a short story for my college’s literary arts publication. My writer friends all were accepted. I was rejected. It was devastating. But I never gave up. I took screenwriting classes, dabbled in novels after a fellow writer told me I had a gift for writing description, wrote several novels, and always queried agents and publishers. I was always rejected.

I have often given up, taking long stretches of time away from the writing process, promising to never return. A lot of time, creativity, and energy are taken up in the writing process. Life is often sacrificed, including time with family and friends. It doesn’t pay well, so a second job is almost always a necessity.

But when I see Zane and how very hard he works to achieve things we take for granted: sitting on the floor without assistance, standing, eating, talking—I am inspired to persevere. In many ways, he is my muse. If I feel dejected about my writing life, I can look to him and remember to not give up.

So thank you, Zane, for helping me find the courage to publish my first novel. A novel that has been in the making for ten years.

Here’s the blurb if you’re interested:



When Anna Kincaid has a miscarriage, her world comes crashing to a halt. Grief overwhelms her life and she combats it with prescription medication. Her husband Lloyd does not see the event as tragic. In fact, not ready to be a father, he is relieved at the news. This creates a chasm in their marriage and splits them apart. Both Anna and Lloyd find themselves moving in different directions. Anna finds hope in a young, male colleague named Ben and comfort in her narcotics. Lloyd loses himself in work. Will their marriage survive the miscarriage, or will it always remain fractured?

It's available at Smashwords, Amazon, and Amazon UK

13 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post! I am inspired by you, your words, and your journey. Thank you and Zane for sharing this. What an amazing boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zane is amazing and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like quite the amazing boy you have there indeed. No wonder he is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are courage personified! Lovely post, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartfelt, inspirational post. I'm glad I stopped by, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the inspiring post, for never giving up on your writing dream, and for being the mother you are to Zane and his brother. Happy Mother's Day for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day to one of my favorite moms!!!!
    love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning Post - umm can you send me a copy when its published - LOL. Sounds like a great read

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can see why zane gives you so much encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, good for Zane to give you inspiration to keep going. Your book sounds very good! I'd love to order it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think many people share what happened to you regarding your literary pursuits.
    But almost nobody has a Zane in their life.
    You are ahead of the game Susan and the future is still in front of you. Do what you do and carry on. Bless you and Zane. Hope you had a grand Mother's day, I know you must be loved and appreciated.
    My best to Zane.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.