“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Change of Plans


We made it to Aurora. A strange and sad energy pervades the area after the recent shootings. We actually shopped at the Target store yesterday, which is across the street from the Town Center where the theater is housed. Apparently, they have a temporary memorial set up there (along with the news media), but we didn’t drive past it. The whole thing is way too sad.

Well, things are not going according to the plan I had laid out in my mind. The Ronald McDonald House in Aurora is filled. We wound up staying at an extended-stay last night. The minute we checked in, a twenty-something guy was on the phone with the Aurora police, stating that he needed an officer to come out because someone stole his “medical” marijuana. There is a touch of the criminal element to this place, so we were hoping for an opening at the RMH this morning. Nothing. Still booked up. So I’ve formulated a change in our plans: if we cannot get in to RMH today, we plan to drive back home on Friday (if Zane is up to it). Then we will stay home for the weekend and return with Justin on Monday in order to make it to Zane’s follow-up appointment on Tuesday morning. We’ll drive back home after the appointment is over. Yes, that is 21 hours of driving, but I refuse to stay here any longer than I need to. It’s pricey to be here eight nights and lacks a lot of the comforts of home. Plus, we didn't pack enough clothes to last the eight days. I had planned on doing laundry at the House. Then there's the shared queen-size bed. While I love Zane's loving touch in the middle of the night and his playful kicks, it makes for a restless night of sleep for me.

Zane has a consultation with a new gastroenterologist today—the one who will do the endoscopy tomorrow. Otherwise, we’re just kind of hanging out, wondering if we should pack up our stuff for a move to the Ronald McDonald House or not. Frankly, I’m ready for all of this to be over, for Zane to come out of surgery without incident, and to be home. He and I will have a month of no travel, then we have to return to Aurora again for his one-month follow-up appointment.

2 comments:

  1. Well, things certainly haven't gone as planned for you. Not a good time to be in Aurora. Good luck with the logistics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you found room at the RMH. Sempre Gumby as my teacher taught me this summer. Sempre Gumby! Good luck whatever path you end up taking.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.