“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Thursday, July 26, 2012

He's Out of Surgery


Zane is out of surgery. He went into the whole thing smiling and happy and came out of it—well—unhappy. The gastroenterologist said the endoscopy showed that everything looks normal. However, he took eight biopsy samples to further check for GI issues. The surgery for the ptosis only took ten minutes. Zane is currently wearing an eye shield, which (feisty guy) he’s already tried to pull off. The surgeon said to ask the nurse about arm immobilizers that will prevent him from bending his arms, poking at his eye, and releasing the sutures. I started by using only one, but quickly had to graduate to both of them.

Tomorrow Zane has a last-minute, gastric emptying scan because the gastroenterologist suspects he might have pepsis. So we have to return to the hospital for the two-hour procedure for more fun. We’ll be staying in Denver instead of returning home. Come to find out, a friend of mine from our home town (who I haven’t been in touch with for a month or so until last night) is up here with her sons (has been since May). So she and I are going to get together with the kids this weekend. Listening to her describe her circumstances over the past two months made me realize I have little to complain about. In fact, she stayed at the same extended-stay and had some horror stories of her own.

Anyway, Zane seems to be doing well. He’s only using Tylenol for pain control, which always makes me happy. We’ll see how it goes with the eye shield and the removal of it. I don’t want the kiddo undermining the surgery with his curious fingers.

5 comments:

  1. Yay, Zane! So glad to hear all went well. Sounds like you are already back to your feisty self!
    Rest up and have a nice weekend with your friends.

    love,
    Holly and Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I had those eye patches when I had cataract surgery! If it's any consolation, he looks like a really cool pirate!
    You all are being very brave and strong – keep up the good work, Susan, and I'm so glad to hear that Zane is doing well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you and zane have been on my heart--so glad to hear he is doing well--take good care <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless Zane, he's doing alright. That photo of him with the patch is precious.
    Best wishes to you all Susan.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.