“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Sunday, October 7, 2012

At the Hospital

After seven hours of driving, we made it to Denver. Zane was cheerful for most of the day, so I called the GI fellow who was on call and asked if she still wanted Zane admitted to the hospital today through the ER. She told us that she and his GI doctor did.

We spent seven hours in the emergency room for some blood work and an abdominal x-ray due to elevated liver enzyme levels. By 9:00, we finally made it to the floor. We still don't know anymore than we did before leaving home, but most signs (to me--a non-medical professional) point to digestive issues. The doctors have expressed their desire to repeat the fluoscopy he just had on Friday and a digestive emptying scan he had in July. I've expressed my disapproval since they both entail the use of radiation. Why repeat what's already been done? My poor kiddo has already been subjected to too much radiation in his short life. We'll see who wins out in the end.

Zane finally fell asleep about fifteen minutes ago and is still awaiting his overnight feeding. I never sleep well on the couch in the room, especially with the nurse coming in every four hours to check vitals. So I doubt that I'll sleep much at all.

I'll post again when I know more. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Susan. Hope things improve soon and you get some answers...and most important, Zane gets some relief and becomes your happy camper once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you get some information soon about what's going on w/ Zane. Also hoping you get some much needed rest. What a wonderful mommy and woman you are! Hang in there! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your drive went well and you're where you need to be for Zane. Sending love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and hoping for the best for Zane. Many hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending good thoughts for some clarity for what Zane needs to feel better -- and "some" sleep for you Susan. I just left Denver Sunday morning and missed seeing you at Children's. Met a number of leading clinical professionals at Children's conference that I'd be glad to call to "trouble-bust" if you run into roadblocks.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.