“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oh, The Medical Issues You'll Have


This week has not been easy. Oh sure, we’ve had harder weeks. But this one is not going down in history as a great one.  

Why? you may ask.  

1.      Zane has been retching and vomiting, but we didn’t get a new medicine until late today. The on-call physician prescribed a medication for Zane that is not considered safe for patients with seizures. I asked the nurse what they were thinking. Needless to say, she was dismissive of me, stating that the doctor was fully aware of Zane’s medical history. I truly doubt that, given the fact that they switched the med after I called this morning. I don’t understand why I have to double check the “work” of an MD. But…moving on.

2.      Zane’s seizure activity is increasing (unrelated to #1). Last night I observed a series of 37 myoclonic seizures over the span of roughly seven minutes. Looks like a call to the neurologist is on the horizon, which can only mean one thing: a medication dosage increase.

3.      I received a call last night from the pediatrician. This is the first time ever that something not so good has appeared on a screening ultrasound. It looks as though Zane has a dilated ureter. I googled it, and the solution is often ureter reimplantation surgery. Something he has already had. So…the ultrasound has been sent to his urologist in Denver for evaluation. I don’t expect good things to come from his call.  

I am fully anticipating a second Denver trip in the near future for urology and GI-related issues. No crystal ball needed.
 
So since this post had a negative tone, it's best to end on a positive note...
 
I so love my sweet boy's smile.

3 comments:

  1. i love his smile too---we had that chair in orange---my heart goes out to you--i have walked in those heavy shoes---praying for your continued strength and grace---<3

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.