We’ve all seen and heard the commercials. The
pharmaceutical companies promoting their drugs with peaceful music, maybe green pastures or flowers, and people who seem unrealistically happy. At
the tail end of those commercials, we hear the rapidly paced reading of the
possible side effects. “Side effect may include…”
Some are mild (drowsiness). Some less easy to deal with
(irritability). Others make us apprehensive about taking them (nausea and
vomiting). And others are downright scary (suicidal thoughts and depression).
Well, the latter is an actual side effect of both of Zane’s
seizure meds. With his latest drug, he’s had severe mood swings. And now this
morning, a rash. The newest medication is a sulpha drug, which I’m allergic to.
I’m wondering if the same is true for Zane.
I have a call into the neurologist. Again. I want Zane off
the second drug. He’s still having seizures, so it’s not 100% effective in
preventing them anyway. This morning’s Zeizure was a bad one. Now all he wants
to do is sleep. But he can’t. He’s too miserable, and he can’t tell me why.
Many doctors are paid to push
pharmaceuticals on their patients. When I went through my whole cancer
diagnosis, I listened as my oncologist pushed hard to get me to take Tamoxifen,
which has serious side effects, including uterine cancer. Luckily, I went to
the appointment very informed. I pushed back. I asked, “If you had cancer,
would you take Tamoxifen?” She hemmed. And hawed. After much hesitation, she
looked me in the eye and said “no.”
That said, I don’t want Zane on a medication that 1) isn’t
stopping his seizures altogether, 2) is making him miserable, and 3) may be
causing an allergic reaction.
The poor kid already has enough issues. I want his life to
be filled with happiness and joy not moodiness and irritability. I want the
real life meadow scenario for him. Not the fake TV, pharmaceutical version.
:( thinking of you !!!
ReplyDeleteGood for you Susan! Your mom instincts are right on for what's best for Zane. I do keep praying that his zeizures stop completely or at least remain very minimal!!
ReplyDelete