It’s been a very difficult year (couple of years,
really). It feels like a losing year. Loss of friends, loss of trust, loss of
place, loss of hope. I simply feel like hunkering down and escaping from certain
parts of the world for a while.
Zane has had it rough, too. His seizures seem worse.
They definitely affect him to the point that he is unable to enjoy and
participate in life fully. He wants to sleep because he has to; I want to sleep
because sometimes it is the preferable place to be in times of stress and utter
disappointment.
I apologize for the negativity, but it would be
dishonest to paint my (our) situation in a sparkling light right now. It’s not…sparkling,
that is. So I leave you with this poem by Elizabeth Bishop—one I’ve always
appreciated.
One Art
The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster,
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.
I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.
- Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster,
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.
I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.
- Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.
Elizabeth Bishop
:( I hope things get better and very quickly - for you all - sending lots of love and blessings
ReplyDeleteThanks for your honesty Susan. Zane is a tough kid and I hope he will have more good days ahead.
ReplyDeleteSusan,
ReplyDeleteI really am sorry to hear that you are feeling so low. You are such an amazing person! None of us are immune to losses and the feelings that go with them. Just sorry you have had more than your share lately! I also am sorry Zane is having such a hard time. I bet you aren't seeing his smiling face as much as usual and I'm sure that must feel wrong. I hope things improve for him and thus for all of your family! Adjusting to moving takes time too...all of you have had so much change! Rest when you can! ~ hug your guys and cherish those hugs back. Sending a virtual hug your way, Jean