“If a man does not keep pace with his
companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to
the music which he hears, however measured or far away.”
Henry David Thoreau
Zane wants to move. Water therapy has opened up a whole new world to him. He is bored lying down. He wants to be active. He wants to move. It’s not good enough to sit around anymore and play with his cause and effect toys. The boy wants action. It’s like he’s discovered a body he didn’t realize he had.
Tonight he took 84 steps without any nudging and without me helping him shift his weight. (I still have to hold him upright). Justin and I praised him, and Zane was a bundle of happy, wiggly energy. He knew we were super proud of him. I am absolutely amazed and inspired by his progress.
In fact, the kid knows way more than most people give him credit for. Today, the three of us went school supply shopping. Throughout the store (almost non stop), Zane made a whole lot of noise because he was bored. When I stood in front of him and told him to be quiet, he beamed up and me and immediately quieted down. He knew exactly what he was doing and was simply acting mischievously. As we approached the register, I said aloud to the boys, “All right. We’re all done.” Zane’s demeanor instantly changed from boredom to sheer happiness. He absolutely, unequivocally, knew we were going home. His cheerful mood carried him out the door and into the car, as well.
All this is great news. I am thrilled by it. But when we move into the realm of seizure management, things are a little trickier. Zane is now on two meds (each twice a day) to control his Zeizures. The episodes have definitely lessened. But the intensity of the ones that remain are disturbing—to both him and to us. Plus, he seems to be suffering from the side effects (at times), which are lethargy and moodiness.
But my motto anymore is one moment at a time. So that’s where I am. I don’t need to check in with neurology until Thursday. And Thursday is not in this moment. So I'll follow Zane's example and move one step at a time.
Wow - That is so cool about his walking, wanting to move more AND being mischievous! What welcome and wonderful things! As far as the zeizures go, one step at a time is a good motto to live by as demonstrated by Zane. I will however pray that they ease up!
ReplyDeleteYeah, Zane!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for all of you.
so happy to hear how well zane is getting along---sorry he is still having the long seizures---hopefully the meds side effects will decrease :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lynn. I know you understand so much of what goes on with Zane. I am so very grateful to know you.
DeleteSusan, thank you for writing this blog. I so enjoy getting updates about Zane, you and your family. This post made my day. I think about you all often. Lisa in Pacifica!
ReplyDeleteLisa, thank you for saying that. It seems like only a handful of people read Zane's blog, but all of you make writing it worthwhile. Hope life is treating you well in CA.
Delete