“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Misery


Zane has not improved at all over the weekend. I would take him to the ER, but the emergency room in our area is useless when it comes to someone like Zane. In fact, many families in our area have had horrible experiences with the hospital here in town. The personnel there know so little about pediatrics that they send almost all kiddos to Denver or Grand Junction. The last two times we took Zane to the ER, the doctors looked to us to answer the medical questions, provide insight into what we think is wrong with Zane. Isn’t that their area of expertise? Not ours?
 
So…while it is torturing me to see Zane so sick and miserable, I prefer to wait until tomorrow when we can see his pediatrician. She knows Zane and can often get to the bottom of what his issues are. Plus, she obviously knows the latest bugs traveling around.
 
Zane woke up with his left eye fused shut. I know that indicates possible pink eye, but there’s no pinkness or redness, no swelling either. From my days of teaching, I don’t remember pink eye causing this degree of misery in a child. He paid Jeff one courtesy smile over the weekend, but—other than that—he’s been crying, fussing, making faces, and wanting to do nothing but be left alone in his bed since Friday afternoon. He managed to sleep through the night, but has awoken a completely unhappy child. And we have absolutely no idea what the problem is. At first I thought he had a low-grade fever, but I honestly think our thermometer is on the blink. One minute it says his temp is 99.3; the next, 95.5.  

Why do these things almost always happen on the weekend?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, poor, poor Zane! Poor Momma, too. I will pray for an answer to his issues for you all. It does always seem to happen on the weekends, or the middle of the night. I'm glad you have a good pediatrician who should be able to help you tomorrow.

    love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear Zane is in so much agony. How frustrating for you to be unable to help him find some comfort. Praying for his fast recovery.
    Love you,
    Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for Zane! I will pray he is better soon. I hope his Dr can diagnose the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get some answers tomorrow so you can get the return of your happy boy. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear Zane is miserable. Poor guy. I hope the pediatrician can help stat. Sending healing energy. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you were able to get some relief for him and your worry.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.