Many of you may or may not have known that we went to Denver. Again. Just about every time we go, Zane winds up with an illness. Must
be all those germs in the clinics or lingering in the places where we stay.
Zane and I arrived home last night. On the ride, he threw up
twice. With his reflux issues, I didn’t think too much of it. But twice in the
night—once at 10:00 pm or so, a second time at 2:00 am—he threw up again. Plus,
he was running a low-grade fever. We kept him home from school today, and he is
getting rehydrated and rested as we head into the weekend. He should be ready
to return to school on Monday.
In Denver ,
Zane has his post-op appointment with the eye surgeon. I knew the doctor’s
reaction before even traveling to Denver :
absolute disappointment. Whereas in July the surgeon was cheerful and
talkative, this time he was straight-faced, disenchantment spelled out on his
face. In essence, the surgery was for nothing. While there is no rush to have
it redone this year, Zane’s surgeon wants to revisit the notion of reoperating
within the next six months. So we’re potentially looking at a spring surgery. I
plan to keep in touch with him by phone and email, leading up to our spring
trip to Denver .
Zane also went to his cardiologist for a routine check of
the heart. I was nervous going into this appointment. I think I am now
programmed to be ready for bad news. Zane had an echocardiogram (which he
loved) and an EKG. I was very relieved when the cardiologist told me everything
is still stable. Zane won’t need to return for another two years. She will
continue to watch that bicuspid aortic valve for narrowing and leakage.
We’re glad to be home. Zane was quite vocal during our stay
this time around, which made it hard to read or get much writing done. As
always, the people at the Ronald McDonald House were so welcoming and
wonderful!
i'm glad the ronald house is nice to you all--so sorry you and zane are having to go through all of this--glad to hear his cardiac situation is stable--take good care <3
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about you all week, figuring that maybe you had come up to Denver. Sorry to hear about the stomach bug- makes a miserable ride home...hopefully Zane will be feeling better soon and be able to get back to school on Monday. I am so glad to hear about the cardio appt.- that sounds like good news...especially after the news from the eye doctor. I hope that the second surgery brings more positive results. I am always thinking of you and Zane...let me know if there is anything I can ever do for you-esp on your trips up to Denver.
ReplyDeleteI have very limited internet access but have missed you and Zane. It's tough to have those reflux issues. I am glad his heart is stable.
ReplyDeleteYou both please take good care of yourselves.
Hi, It's Mia's Mama (6 month old with T-18). It is so great to hear that Zane is doing well in Kindergarten. I hope Mia will get there one day. I am glad to hear the doctors finally figured out what was wrong with Zane. That must of been very difficult. It seemed to stretch on for a couple of months. I noticed that in this post you mentioned the cardiologist visit and that Zane has a bicuspid valve. Does he have any other heart issues? I ask because Mia has pulmonary stenosis, and an aortic and ventricular septal defect. It is nice to see that even with a heart defect Zane is stable without surgery. I hope all is well for you and your family over the holidays! Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteMichelle Scherer