“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Our Second Home: The Pediatrician's Office


It’s been a rough couple of weeks. In the last ten days, I’ve been to the pediatrician’s office five times, which is especially challenging since we live 40 minutes away. We had strep, walking pneumonia, a UTI, and a cold in our household. In the last two days, I made the trip to the pediatrician’s office twice for Zane.
 
Yesterday the school called saying he was exceptionally fussy and crying a lot. I drove into town and checked him out of school. We headed straight to the doctor. Aside from the fact that he didn’t want to be picked up, looked at, or touched, there were no obvious symptoms of what was bothering him. They tested his urine, which was clear. We figured it may be a reaction to the antibiotic, so we formed a plan and returned home where he fussed until bedtime.
 
This morning, he awoke with a snotty nose. I had scheduled a follow-up appointment for this morning in the event he was no better. In the middle of the night, I had lovely thoughts of being able to cancel it and finally get something done outside of chauffeuring kids back and forth from home to town. The dream did not become a reality; we trekked back into town.
 
Anyway, Zane is now being treated for a virus (respiratory/GI) with extra fluids, saline, and respiratory medications. He’s currently sleeping. Again. Obviously, he needs the rest. I am tired. Oh, so tired. And I am sick, but have not had much opportunity to take care of myself. Thankfully, all I have right now is the common cold. Hopefully, things will take a positive turn health-wise for us. I’d be happy if I didn’t have to see another physician for the rest of the year. Unfortunately, Zane has to go in for another UTI follow-up next week. Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you've all been unwell, Susan. Feel better soon! And I hope you get a chance to take care of yourself too. Sending you strength and hugs, Sigal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you and Zane are dealing with so much. I hope it gets better from here.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.