If you know me, you’re familiar with my soapbox. Yeah, it’s
the thing I stand on when I have something to rant about. Usually, it’s the
r-word. Again, if you know me, its use goes well beyond a pet peeve of mine.
But today, I’m going to leave the r-word be and rant about
something else. Here I go. I’m stepping up on my soapbox. In case you didn’t
notice, I’m holding a megaphone, too. A very large one. Are you ready?
Handicapped parking.
I hear you telling me: you’ve already touched on that
before.
Have I?
Well, here’s the thing. I know no one who reads Zane’s blog
would ever in a million years even remotely dream of parking in a handicapped
parking space without a plate or a placard. But in case there’s that remote
individual out in cyber space who happens to stumble upon Zane’s blog, I have
these things to say…
1.
Do not
park in a handicapped space if you don’t have a plate or a placard. You
know what this says about you? That you’re two things: lazy and
disrespectful—like the driver of the 4 Runner at City Market who didn’t want to
walk a few extra feet in the rain today. Seriously, unless you’re the Wicked
Witch of the West, and you’re going to melt if the rain touches you, I give you
zero leeway. You see, if you have functioning legs, that is reason to celebrate.
I would love to be able to park out in the boon docks with Zane if he could
walk. That would be major party time in the parking lot for us! Unfortunately,
he’s in a wheelchair, so it’s much better for him to park close to the
building. Which leads me to #2.
2.
Do not
park in the white cross-hatched space beside handicapped parking. You know
what? That is there for a reason. Did I hear someone in the crowd yell out,
“It’s an extra space!”? Indeed, it is not. Its purpose: To place the wheelchair
in a safe zone to load and unload the non-walking individual. When you park
there (like some moron at baseball did the other day), I can’t get Zane in the
car. It takes some creative maneuvering to get him in when your door is nearly
pressed against my car. I am a very creative person, but that’s where I draw the
line.
3.
If you
own a plate or placard, and the individual with the disability is NOT with you,
DON’T park in the space. Refer to #1 for what this says about you.
Let this be known…I am not afraid to confront you if you
park in the space and you shouldn’t. I’ve done it many times. As such, I am not
exactly popular with the lazy faction at my sons’ school.
So seriously, think twice before even considering the
handicapped space. It truly is not there for people who are late and can’t find
parking. It’s not okay to use it when you see no other vehicles are around. The
thing is, people notice you. Even people who do not have family members with
disabilities. They may be afraid to confront you like I do, but (believe me)
they are thinking bad things about you. Plus, it’s simply bad karma.
Agree!
ReplyDeleteWell said mom !!!!
ReplyDeleteEven with Lior we dont park in a handicap parking, cause for the time being he is still in a pram - yep you are right, most definately one of my pet hates !!!