When the boys and I arrived at school this morning, there
was no place to park. That is, all the handicapped spaces were either taken or
blocked by parents dropping off kids. Forget the regular spots—they’re always
full. One of the handicapped spaces was occupied by a mom from Zane’s SpEd
program, despite the fact that her son has no physical disabilities, she has no
HC placard, and she’s been told repeatedly by the principal not to park there.
She saw us waiting. She ignored us. She let us sit there and
wait for another space.
By the time I was able to park and begin to unload Zane, the
mom returned. So I decided to confront her.
Me: Excuse me. Can you not park there anymore?
Her (immediately defensive and angry): I have a sticker.
(It’s not a sticker. It’s a placard. And…she doesn’t have
one of those either).
Me: If you have a sticker, then you have to put it up. Since
you parked there, Zane is now late for school.
Her (coming absolutely unglued and pointing violently at the
two now-empty HC spaces): There are two other spaces you could have parked in.
Those were blocked by other cars, so unless my Subaru came
equipped with wings that the dealer failed to tell me about, then...no I could not
park there.
When I attempted to talk to her further, she turned
belligerent—her tone and body language were threatening. No one else was around
outside of Zane. Plus, she had the nerve to accuse me of being rude. A little
afraid of what she might do, I didn’t stick around for her tirade. I went into
the school and signed in. My hands were shaking.
Come to find out…
- There have been issues with her over this before.
- The principal told me he will not talk to her anymore for fear of what she might do.
- She is no longer allowed inside the school (prior to this incident).
- The principal said he’d report her (again) to the Resource Officer—a Durango police officer.
When I returned to the school for pick up, I felt on edge. I
was relieved to see the Durango Police Department vehicle in the lot.
I received a police escort to my car. The officer stayed
with me until the boys were loaded into the car.
The 411 as of this afternoon:
- She is mentally unstable (seriously).
- The police officer called her about the incident and she blamed me for everything.
- In the past, she had fired a pistol in a local restaurant (not sure if she was arrested or not).
- I may not get the police escort for all the remaining school days (there are six left).
Until May 31st at 2:00, I am watching my back.
FYI: I still believe I’m right in confronting those who park
illegally in a handicapped space. Unfortunately, I now have to worry about the
safety of my kiddos and myself as a result. How sad.
Did you know (at least in Colorado) you can be ticketed and
fined for parking in a HC space without a legit plate or placard? I think this
woman is well beyond that when it comes to the law, though.
On a separate note, tomorrow is the memorial service for
Emily, the beautiful girl from Zane’s SpEd class who died last week. It has
been a very emotional day. Tomorrow will be even more emotional. I either need
to work out tonight or have a bowl of ice cream. I haven’t decided yet.
I agree with you and admire you confronting her. You had no idea she was crazy as well as rude! You definately hit a nerve! Guilty people need to defend their behavior. Glad the school yr is almost over and you won't have to see her again. Btw, i would have picked the ice cream - bet you went the healthy route! ;-)
ReplyDeleteJean, I chose both! I wish the school would have let me know about her instability. Especially since they encourage us to remind others not to park in those spaces.
DeleteWhat a terrifying predicament! We should all be more aware, especially in busy parking lots, of where our vehicle's are and if we are blocking spaces that are needed by families like yours. I have to admit, I really never paid attention before, and though I do not park in handicapped spots, even for a quick minute to drop off a DVD or use the ATM, I am not always mindful if I am blocking a space that could and would be used by someone in need while I wait to complete my errand. I'm glad you posted this, I too have a son with special needs and though he does have some developmental delays, he doesn't need a wheelchair or any physical device to assist him to be mobile. I'm sorry you have to go through this and that there isn't more support against people like this woman. Maybe if she was ticketed, repeatedly, she'd get the point!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteJana, thanks for commenting. I wasn't really irritated with the dropping-off parents because they usually aren't there very long. But parking in the space when one doesn't need to seems so very wrong to me. Plus, I'll be on edge for the rest of the school year. Normally, people are extremely apologetic when confronted. Not this time.
DeleteSusan, I'm glad you stood your ground, even if something bad came out of it. She shouldn't park in handicapped spaces. That boggles me the same way some people reluctantly move when an emergency vehicle needs to get through.
ReplyDeleteI hope they keep an officer there. It's the least they can do.