Zane has been absolutely miserable since the end of the
school day yesterday. We’re not sure why. The problem is, there were a number
of factors that may have caused his misery, and he doesn’t have the words or a communication
system to tell us what it is.
1) He ate paper in school yesterday. (Stomach issue?)
2) He banged his head hard on the PE floor yesterday (head trauma
or pain?)
3) There are tons of bugs floating around in the elementary-school-o-sphere
(sickness?)
It’s hard to say. We did the requisite checks: temperature, throat,
bumps on the head. All seem fine. We administered the requisite care: heating
pad to the stomach, Tylenol for pain, Pedialyte for rehydration. Nothing is
working.
He cried almost immediately after school ended yesterday and
didn’t stop for probably two hours. Now each time we look at him, he makes a
pouty lip and gets ready to cry. It’s so hard to see him this way and not know
what to do to help him.
One thing is clear: there has to be more training at school.
While I know both the paper-eating and head-banging incidents were accidental,
they cannot happen again. This is precisely why I am controlling, hovering,
overly protective, and afraid to let go. Because when I do, things like this
happen. Pretty soon, my trust in others protecting Zane is going to be next to
nil.
Okay, I’m through ranting. Zane is usually so very happy and
easy-going. This is so not like him. Something is clearly wrong. If any other
Trisomy mommies (or daddies) have any ideas, please let me know.
Oh poor Zane! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you can figure out what's going on! Love to you!
ReplyDelete:( Wish I had some idea. We're still a year away from starting school, and this is my big worry already. Hope he's feeling bette soon.
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew something that would shed light. I am so sorry Zane isn't well. I hope you're able to find the key to easing him soon. xo
ReplyDeleteI am so much like you. I am like that too, cos we know when things go wrong with our kids, it's a big deal for them. I am thinking could it be a physical thing, as in some paper is still stuck somewhere down the oeseophagus and causing some obstruction? any chance of getting an xray?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm not alone, May. We had his speech therapist check him out yesterday after the paper-eating incident. She said she believed it cleared his throat. But you never know. We're keeping tabs on him. These things always seem to happen right before or during the weekend.
DeletePerhaps he is upset about going to school all day. We went through something similar with Morgan when we moved for the first time. We had lived in the same place from the time he was born until he was past 4 yrs. old. When we moved, for the first few weeks, he would cry every night after supper. He was fine during the day time and he would go to his new preschool, but in the evenings he would cry for 2 hours before bed. It took me a while to decide it was the new home, I could not figure out what was wrong and I checked everything, like you are doing. After those 2 or 3 weeks he just stopped and was fine again.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this is what is going on with Zane, but it is worth considering. He is, after all, a 5 yr. old, and some 5 yr olds don't like kindergarten as much as their parents wish they would. Sorry he is feeling this way. Hope you can figure something out soon. It is so hard when they cry and you don't know why.
{{{Susan and Zane}}}
love,
Holly McCormick
Thanks, Holly. Jennifer said something on FB about it being non-physical. They did mess around with him a lot yesterday: with his new brace (on and off, on and off), putting him his gait trainer, putting him in his stander, eating paper, hitting his head. Maybe he DID just have enough with yesterday and needs down time today. Thank you so much!
DeleteThank you all for your input. Your concern and caring means so much to me.
ReplyDeleteLove you and hope your little guy is much better today!
ReplyDelete