Elizabeth Kübler-Ross said, “The most beautiful people I've
known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss,
and have found their way out of the depths.”
That being said, Zane and I must be pretty darned gorgeous!
Zane has had quite the struggle with his seizures over the
past week or so. The activity has not only increased, but it has changed.
Initially, he was presenting with myoclonic seizure activity (a series of brief
arm jerks over a span of time). And Zane may still be having myoclonic
seizures, but they are frequent and quite different.
The pattern:
Zane says, “Da!”
He gets super hyped up and excited.
His eyes roll back a bit, he blinks, or he simply stares.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
This happens many times throughout the day. The sad part is
that he is not as interactive and smiley as he used to be. Much of this seemed
to coincide with the administration of Cyproheptadine to control his retching. We’ve
since taken him off (without doctor approval). Yet the behavior has not stopped
or decreased enough to believe there’s an actual correlation.
Next step: I need to call Zane’s neurologist this week. Likely,
we will have to increase his Keppra dosage. My fear with this is that he will
continue to suffer the side effects, which are moodiness, sleepiness, and the
disappearance of the old Z as I know him L
Life is not easy. There’s quite a lot happening in our lives
right now (I won’t go into it here), which has brought about a great deal of
stress. The seizure activity is just a part of it.
So we’re looking quite
beautiful in our area of SW Colorado …if what Kübler-Ross
says is true.
No comments:
Post a Comment