“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Friday, April 26, 2013

Fear of Clowns...and Birthdays


My birthday is next week, and I’m starting to think that it’s not really a festive day. At least not since moving to Colorado.

One year as I was showering for my upcoming party, Justin rushed into the bathroom after swallowing and choking on a metal ball. This resulted in a 911 call and a trip to the ER—just before the party guests arrived. Fortunately, his airway wasn’t blocked, he was ultimately okay, and the party went on as planned.

Then on my birthday in both 2011 and 2012, Zane had to go to the ER for his own medical issues, which were minor in the end.  

I used to love birthdays: a day being all about me (something that is very infrequent in the life of a mother). Plus there are usually presents…and cake! The clowns can stay at the door. We’re not big fans of clowns around here, and J is actually afraid of them (no offense to any clowns who happen to read this). So anymore, I just want the day to be over without incident.

I’m sending out positive energy for an uneventful day next week. Mostly, the boys and I will spend the evening at the baseball field anyway. Let’s just hope there are zero injuries that night, no 911 calls, and absolutely no trips to the ER! 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday- I'm sending wishing for a happy, safe, and wonderful day! (and hopefully uneventful in terms of ER trips...) Thinking of you- always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness--what a scary thing to happen on your birthday! We used to think we were cursed each time we planned a trip to Victoria BC--two times we planned it, something bad happened. First Mike's dad died very suddenly, and second Christopher was born very prematurely. We finally broke the bad luck pattern.

    Here's hoping for a completely uneventful celebration!

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.