“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Miss You, Sara


Today marks the two-year anniversary of my sister-in-law Sara’s tragic and untimely death. She was a phenomenal aunt to my two sons, the sister I never had, and a healing and caring soul to all she touched. She is missed every day.

Since I was young, this poem by Henry Scott Holland always resonated with me. I read it at Sara’s memorial. I miss her every day.
  



Death is nothing at all,
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name.
Wear no forced airs of solemnity or sorrow.
Life means all that it ever meant.
Speak of me in the same easy way you always did.
Laugh, as we always laughed, at the little jokes we shared together.
Think of me and smile.
Why should I be out of mind only because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you - for an interval--somewhere very near.
All is well.

Love you, sis. I hope to see you again someday. 

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Really, so lovely and heartfelt. I'm sorry you lost your sister-in-law too soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad...I'm sorry, too, Susan. It's so hard to understand when people die suddenly, so young.

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.