“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Incompatible with Life


One of the phrases commonly told to families just given a Trisomy 18 diagnosis is that the condition is incompatible with life. Not only is this one of the least helpful things to tell a parent of a newborn, but it is also inaccurate.

I am not going to wax philosophical about a lifetime being just as valid whether it is a second or one hundred years (even though that’s true) or step onto my soapbox and ask why some medical professionals think they are the end-all in knowledge (because I certainly wouldn’t do that) or how completely lacking in compassion it is to utter this phrase to a parent (because everyone is compassionate at the birth of a child, right? *cough*).

But seriously, Trisomy 18 is not incompatible with life. Sure, there are challenges, and there are children who live very short lives. But a life is a life, you know. I can think of a person of two in history who I consider incompatible with life, and I’m sure you can, too. And not one of them had or has Trisomy 18. But I would never say this to ANYONE. And the fact that there are children with T18 who live happy, loving, and even healthy lives demonstrates this all the more.

5 comments:

  1. Zane is proof of the validity of life. Every time I see his photo I see the beauty of life.
    No one knows God's plans; we play the hand we are dealt.
    I wosh Zane the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concluding statement of 12-year American major national study of interventions on children with trisomy 13 and 18 just published yesterday:

    "Because we are currently unable to identify which children might be long-term survivors, universal application of the term “lethal” to the diagnoses of trisomy 13 and 18 is not appropriate."

    It is a major victory for the trisomy 13/18 community!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He certainly looks happy! What a little star. A life is a life - very true.

    Visiting from the Challenge. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true, i had children that were born with severe handicaps---they were not expected to live very long at all--the oldest child lived to 17---only God knows---wonderful post

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.