This past week, Zane and I traveled to and from Denver (a twice-a-year endeavor)
for clinics at the children’s hospitals up there. Once again, we stayed at the
awesome Ronald McDonald House. This is an amazing and compassionate place for
parents to stay while their kiddos are in the hospital or going to out-patient
clinics. I cannot say enough positive things about this organization and the
volunteers who make it possible to feel at home away from home.
This time, Zane had his annual ophthalmology appointment. The doctor put lenses up to my eyes to show me how out-of-focus Zane’s vision is without the glasses. It’s bad. (Note to all who work with him: Must wear glasses all the time regardless of how often he pulls them off).
He also had a surgery consult. And indeed he has to have surgery this summer on his left eye. There was a GI appointment thrown in for good measure up (really, just a follow-up appointment), and he was the “lucky” recipient of yet another set of x-rays. I’m telling you, I am done with the x-rays. This kid has had way too much radiation in his five years. Unless it is an emergency—NO MORE.
So that said, Zane was a wonderful traveler. We took our time going up, but wound up getting a late start due to cleaning the room and hauling down loads of bags and medical equipment by myself all while pushing his adaptive stroller. So he and I need a break from car rides for awhile.
This time, Zane had his annual ophthalmology appointment. The doctor put lenses up to my eyes to show me how out-of-focus Zane’s vision is without the glasses. It’s bad. (Note to all who work with him: Must wear glasses all the time regardless of how often he pulls them off).
He also had a surgery consult. And indeed he has to have surgery this summer on his left eye. There was a GI appointment thrown in for good measure up (really, just a follow-up appointment), and he was the “lucky” recipient of yet another set of x-rays. I’m telling you, I am done with the x-rays. This kid has had way too much radiation in his five years. Unless it is an emergency—NO MORE.
So that said, Zane was a wonderful traveler. We took our time going up, but wound up getting a late start due to cleaning the room and hauling down loads of bags and medical equipment by myself all while pushing his adaptive stroller. So he and I need a break from car rides for awhile.
God Bless you!! But, Don't you just love it when the children beat the odds given out by the doctors. We have two grandsons with special needs. One of whom, they though would never walk on his own....he showed them!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday dear Zane! He looks like a joy!!
Visiting on the A to Z Challenge,and am a new follower.
Kathy at Oak Lawn Images
If I were there I would have helped you...sad no one did. Interesting, when I was in college I joined Alpha Delta Pi sorority and Ronald McDonald House was our philanthropy. Glad it's done though for awhile. Keep us posted on the surgery.
ReplyDelete