I am not knocking this company. Seriously, I am not. I
understand the theory behind their eyewear. Zane had his eye examination this
past week in Denver .
When asked about a type of frame that Zane will keep on in conjunction with his
hearing aids, the ophthalmologist recommended Miraflex. They’re flexible (as
implied in the name) and have a band across the back to supposedly keep them in
place. I say “supposedly” because if Zane wants his glasses off, no band is
going to keep them on.
But have you seen these things? They look like the glasses
Elton John wore in the 70s. Zane’s first pair of glasses was along these lines.
Bottom line: they are unattractive and draw more attention to a kid who does
not need negative attention. Why—why?—would a company do this to a child? Zane
is a seriously cute kid (no bias here), and this would completely detract from
his cuteness.
So…does anyone know of another eyeglass frame for kiddos
with special needs that does not scream “pick on me!”?
Here's a photo of Zane from three years ago wearing a frame similar to the type made by Miraflex. See. The cuteness is still there, but hidden behind the mask of the glasses.
Well, The glasses are very... ...depending on the eye of the beholder: cool or hip or boss. My grandson used to go to high school with the goofyest(goofiest?) necktie. No collared shirt or suit, just regular teen garb plus that tie.
ReplyDeleteI see Zane in those glasses and see a very shap-looking (sharp dressed?) young man.
But, you are his mom, it is your call.
Being in the world of special education for 30 years I've seen things that border on ugly to very 'macho' and hip. I really think companies are trying to more stylish and fashionable but evidently it has not made it to the eyewear dept. yet. He is adorable!
ReplyDeleteZane is adorable and I hope you will find the right kind of glasses for him. I'm visiting from the A to Z. I had a sister with the most severe form of Down's Syndrome. She was not supposed to live beyond 30, but lived to be 58. I'm sending all good wishes to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteHey Susan, have you checked out babybanz glasses? They might do better. And I THINK I've heard that they can do Rx lenses in them. Aaron has a neoprene band that he wears with his sunglasses, but they frames/wraps come in several different colors. And yeah, they stay on pretty well, until he wants them off. Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteJust seen your blog through the A-Z Challenge, will need to read the rest of blog, but just wanted to say what a gorgeous little boy you have!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with finding some glasses that are suitable.
My daughter has DiGeorge syndrome and is two and we are having the same problems. I hated the miraflex. I just ordered from a company in Korea called tomato glasses but we have not got them yet. She has a pair of wire frames now made by grant Italia but she will not keep them on. I have also looked at julbo looping frames. Good luck. My email is Jennifer.hammonds@mnps.org is you have found any better frames. Your son is adorable
ReplyDeleteI thought the same thing at first, but my son has been in Miraflex since he was 3 months old. They have a lot of choices, even though our optometrist only carried a few (and those few I didn't like!) They're not the prettiest things, but they're functional and I actually like the shape we have now. I hope you find a pair that works for you!
ReplyDeleteI was also very opposed to miraflex, but now I love them. I am going to order 2 more pairs in different colors for my daughter. I think it is all in finding the right color and shape. Look at the rectangle shape and a darker color like a blue. Look through their gallery online. Agreed - some look horrible, but some are cute. My daughter's are great & she's so active at 2 years old that I have never regretted getting them.
ReplyDelete