“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Monday, April 16, 2012

Non-Verbal


Having a child who is non-verbal certainly presents some challenges, especially when something is wrong. There have been times in the past when Zane is crying, and we have little to no idea why. As he’s grown older, we’ve been able to discern what some of his issues may be. Zane is an extremely happy child. If he’s crying or grimacing, then there’s something hurting him. But sometimes, we don’t know what precisely is bothering him. Is it his stomach? Is he overly tired? Does he have a headache? So we’ll take note of non-verbal cues like a grumbling stomach or poking at his ear.

So it’s not that Zane doesn’t communicate because he does. In fact, he’s pretty good at getting his feelings across. But it’s our responsibility as his family to figure out what he’s trying to tell us. If we don’t, then it’s our fault not his.

We’re not sure whether or not Zane will speak. He babbles a lot and even says dada quite often. I’ve been trying like crazy for months to get him to say mama. There have been a few occasions where I’ve heard him say ama, but it’s certainly not consistent. Only time will tell.


7 comments:

  1. I was just cleaning up after my dog who has been sick and through a lot lately and found myself wishing he could let me know if he hurt somewhere. It's unimaginable how you do it when your child hurts. What you are going through must be so hard, particularly when he gets sick. My sister, who I mentioned in my last comment, was non-verbal also. I was touched by your nice comment on my Midsummer post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know how it feels--my special needs children, were non-verbal--but they spoke volumes--my daughter recently wrote an article for a scholarship, it was about her brothers and sisters--it was titled "silent change"--i hope you hear mama one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how heartbreaking it can be when you have trouble communicating. I know it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a strong woman! God only blesses those with the largest hearts with children like Zane. what a cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I've dropped by your blog and I'll certainly be coming back to catch up on your other posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work with special needs children. It's amazing to me how much they can communicate without actually talking. And I'll take one of them over a roomful of "normal" kids any day. They are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I bet he is such a blessing. He's adorable.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.