“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

♥♥♥

♥♥♥

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Kindergarten


Next year, Zane will be in kindergarten. He will be changing districts to attend a school with a center-based program. However, he will primarily be in an inclusive setting, which is simply awesome. Though he doesn’t yet speak, he absorbs and processes what is said to him. So we’re thankful he will have peer modeling to help him on his journey.

We’re very lucky the school Zane will attend has a progressive principle and Special Ed. Director who foster inclusion for kids with special needs. This is not always the case. It’s not the case in our home district, which is totally backward in my mind. But we’d rather take Zane out of his community if it means a better education and being in a setting where he is wanted and accepted. I know when I was in public high school, kids like Zane were segregated and sent off to modular buildings far away from the rest of the school community. It was extremely sad. As such, I now feel deprived: I was never given the chance to befriend someone like Zane.  

1 comment:

  1. well, I fell in love with Zane by looking at those eyes and that smile! what a lovely soul...I teach children with special needs and just took a position in a CCK class for next year so how ironic I would happen on your A to Z post today! It was lovely meeting you!

    ReplyDelete


Followers

About Me

My photo
Susan is a YA and Adult contemporary novelist, as well as an advocate for social change. Her essays have been published both nationally and regionally, including a brief stint in The Daily Beast. She lives in the Southwest with her family.