When we were given Zane’s Trisomy 18 diagnosis five days after he was born, we were told he would die. Soon. Like within months. This changes one’s outlook on life. Substantially. After I came to grips with it all, I realized the importance of staying present in the moment. I may not have tomorrow with him. Then that thought extended into I may not have tomorrow with anyone—may not have it myself.
Meeting Zane—knowing I may not have him in my life all that long—made me experience first-hand what staying present means. Before then, it was a nice thing on paper, but I had dreams and goals and future plans. Now I tamp some of those dominating thoughts down a bit, knowing life can throw anything at me at any time. I have learned to remain present, and I am much happier and calmer because of it. At the same time, staying present has allowed me to take more chances because, after all, I may not have tomorrow.
Staying in the present and enjoying it is something I need to learn to do. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteReceiving this kind of news must be totally soul-crushing. Just reading that you were told 5 days after his birth that he would probably die within months was enough to make me want to cry.
ReplyDeleteI felt this message very clearly when I went to a funeral last week...of a 70-year-old woman who received a devastating diagnosis of cancer and was gone within a few months. Her husband was completely wracked with grief. Thanks for the wonderful reminder. Some friends, whose 23-weeker lived in the NICU for just one week, were told by a nurse: "You have to live every day. And every day with Parker is a good day."
ReplyDeleteZane has the most gorgeous smile!!!
Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge. Can you believe the challenge is almost over? Lovely blog...good luck with future posts!
ReplyDeleteDonna L Martin
www.donasdays.blogspot.com